Sunday, April 13, 2008

Can you say "adventure"?



Diving...
We love it, we who call ourselves adventurers. I must admit, I have not yet tried it myself. But I love it. Why? Because diving means getting a chance to see a world few others have seen. Also it means a chance to dive for pirate ship wrecks, but that's another story. But I don't want to dive in tourist havens like Thailand - I'm sick and friggin' tired of hearing of Thailand and Bali, and yada yada. It will be a cold day in Hell before I ever set my foot in that tourist nest. So, where else can a man dive?

Africa, of course!
Mozambique, from where my step-mother comes, have great beaches, great tourist resorts, and great diving. It's relatively untouched as well, and has beautiful underwater life, as you can plainly see in the video. (Just ignore the ecstacy-infused music). And of course, many a pirate found the east coast of Africa a good home and hideout in the 17h and 18th Century - Madagascar was a home to many a pirate captain. So, in Africa, we have great diving, a history of piracy, and relative untouch by tourists.

So, I don't know how you feel, but one day, I'm going to set my foot in Mozambique for a loooong while of R&R with diving and respite from the hectic life of modern "civilization". Because, let's face it - even if you go to Thailand these days, that's no guarantee you'll escape the hectic life you live normally - nowadays, tourism is just as hectic as ordinary life.

Take it easy//
Henrik

No comments: